Last week’s announcement by the Government to help alleviate the cost-of-living pressures on hard working families will be welcome news right across my Aldridge-Brownhills constituency.
The Government have put forward a package of measures to provide targeted support which includes: –
• A £200 ‘smoothing’ rebate on energy bills for all households, to be paid back over the next five years at £40 per year – starting from April 2023.
• A non-repayable £150 cash rebate for homes in Council Tax bands A-D – equivalent to 80 per cent of all households, helping both lower and middle-income families.
• £144 million of discretionary funding for local authorities to support households not eligible for the council tax rebate.
• Continuing with plans to increase the Warm Homes Discount and extend eligibility by one-third to 3 million vulnerable households (worth £150).
• This is on top of measures already in place, such as: reducing the Universal Credit taper rate, increasing the National Living Wage, freezing fuel duty for the twelfth year in a row.